The 2017 Success Summit will be information packed!
Your registration includes informative instructor-led sessions and inspiring panel discussions that you won’t have access to anywhere else! Experts will share best practices for growth and success in entrepreneurial and personal financial empowerment. Youth workshop details available here.
Workshop Topics Subject to Change.
Friday, June 2, 2017:
7:30am: Registration Opens
8:00 – 9:15 am: General Session Part I
Minority Business Town Hall: The Truth About Minority Contracting (NOT TO BE MISSED!)
Denver ranks #1 as the best place for business and careers. So why are many businesses, especially black-owned businesses, having trouble capitalizing (or winning more contracts in correlation to the growth trajectory) on the myriad of business opportunities that our growing state has available?
Topics to be discussed:
- Accountability: Organizations vs Business Owner roles
- The System: The good and bad of matching programs, preparedness programs, etc)
- Opportunity updates: Open Request for Proposals announced
- Current MBEs address successfully navigating the system
- Organizations address the benefits of working with successful MBEs
- More to say? Continuing the discussions after the Town Hall.
9:30 – 10:30 am: General Session Part II
Closing the Gap: African Americans in Energy.
This panel includes industry leaders that have found a home and success within the energy industry. The conversation will include a discussion centered on their professional journeys and experiences, information on opportunities for African Americans within the industry, advice for energy aspirants, and the value of energy in the daily lives of our community.
Deryck Spooner, Sr. Director External Mobilization, American Petroleum Institute
Lonnie Johnson, Sr. Counsel, Exxon Mobil (Invited)
Ray Dempsey, Vice President External Affairs & Chief Diversity Officer, BP America (Invited)
10:30 – 11:30am: Breakout Sessions Part A
Session 1: Turn Your Side Hustle into BIG Business. Presented by Makisha Boothe of Sistapreneurs
Are you still working a 9 to 5 job while trying to grow your own business? Are you ready to take your Side Hustle to the next level? This workshop will help you build a hugely profitable business in only a few hours per week.
Session 2: Be Dynamic in the Marketplace presented by Elma Hairston of Dynamic Images International, LLC
“Be Dynamic in the Marketplace” is for those individuals ready to activate their potential and become the dynamic individual you were meant to be. The focus is on the ultimate, not the mundane – excellence without excuses, responsibility without compromise. You will uncover what can you do NOW to be at the top of your game and achieve the success that has always been there for the taking.
You will experience the Passion, Performance, Preparation, Practice and Polish it takes to make this a reality.
Session 3: Show me the MONEY! Access to Business Capital
Small Business Majority and partner(s) invite you to join us for an interactive workshop about access to capital for small businesses. Through this presentation, we will help you navigate the funding landscape focusing on microloans, crowdfunding, and reputable online lenders.
- An overview of alternative lending options including microloans, SBA’s loan guarantee program and reputable online lenders
- 5 C’s of credit
- Key questions to consider when seeking funding
- Tips to help determine the best option for your small business
- The Small Business Borrowers’ Bill of Rights (BBOR)
- Helpful tools and local resources
Legacy Luncheon (doors open at 11:30am)
2:15 – 3:15pm: Breakout Sessions Part B
Session 4: Business Succession Planning. Presented by Colorado Black Chamber of Commerce
Owning your own business is exhilarating. The rewards are amazing. But no matter how much you love what you’re building, every business owner has to face the reality of continuing the business when you’re ready to move on. Whether you plan to sell the company, leave the business to the next generation or close the doors completely the key is to have a plan.
While succession planning is usually not on the first page in our business plan, it’s an essential component of every successful company. The Colorado Black Chamber of Commerce reminds you to devote time to Business Succession Planning. This workshop outlines the steps for your business succession plan. You’ll hear ideas on the key elements that should be in your plan, things to consider before you’re ready to make your move, and learn some new options that you might not be aware of, but may offer the perfect solution for your business.
Let’s talk about the challenges, the rewards and the strategies of Business Succession Planning to successfully transfer your small business to its next phase.
Session 5: Success = Preparation + Opportunity Doing Business with the City & County of Denver
Have you ever wondered how to do business with the city? Are you a small business with a desire to tap into the opportunity of government contracts? Do you want to learn more about the opportunities with the development of the National Western Center? If you answered yes to any of the questions above, then you must be PREPARED for the OPPORTUNITY to reach SUCCESS.
Come enjoy these four workshop presenters:
- Dani Abbott – Denver Public Works, “Prequalification Process” to prepare businesses in the construction and professional services industry
- Cecilia V. Rivas de Schuermann – Denver General Services, “5 Steps for doing Business with the City” to prepare businesses that provides goods and services
- Shyvone Goodwin – Small Business Opportunity, “Benefits of Small, Minority Owned Business Certification” to provide an understanding of the benefits to being certified as a small, minority owned business
- Willie Franklin – National Western Center, “A World of Opportunity” an overview of the NWC project and potential opportunities for small, minority owned firms
Session 6: RETIREMENT: Make BOLD Financial Moves NOW to Retire in Style. Presented by GRAnderson Wealth Management
It is never too early nor too late to begin your retirement plan. At any age, under any financial situation, you can benefit from preparing for retirement; and all retirement plans differ in terms of goals, assets, graduated income, and lifestyle requirements. In this session, we will take these into consideration beginning with an honest discussion about where you currently stand, where you want to end up, and how long it will take you to get there. Additionally, we will review which are the best retirement savings vehicle for you or your company.
3:30 – 4:30pm: Breakout Sessions Part C
Session 7: How to do Business with Denver Public Schools
If you are a woman or minority business owner and you think you could provide a product in construction or construction related services to DPS, this workshop will provide you with the knowledge needed to begin working with the district. DPS will expand this program to general goods and services beginning in 2018.
- Learn what’s new at DPS
- Certification and Pre-Qualification Requirements
- Registration as a Business Diversity Outreach Program Vendor/Contractor
- The In’s and Out’s of Doing Business With DPS
- How to register on the Lawson System
- New Programs
Session 8: What’s Your Next? (When to Sit Down and When to Step Off) presented by Gloria Neal
What’s your next move and when should you step off and make that move? How do you know if you’ve overstayed your welcome; or should stay longer; or never have “stopped” at all?
– Taking the high road (It might be fun to role in the mud, but once you get up, you will stank!)
Say ‘YES’ to your Success and REGISTER NOW!